Saturday, September 24, 2016

What does isolation look like with bipolar disorder?

Imagine a desert. A hot, empty desert. A hot, empty desert full of sand and mirages. Nothing else.

And you're there. Struggling to find the oasis. But there's all these mirages throwing you for a loop.

What do you do?

Do you curl up and assume all is lost, or do you press on, trusting one of those mirages will end up being the water you so desperately need?

This is my life with bipolar disorder. And those mirages are the voices in my head telling me I have no-one, and I shouldn't even try reaching out, because even if I did have someone, no-one cares anyway.

When I'm feeling alone and like I need to reach out for help, suddenly I'm thrown into the desert. And I can't find an oasis because I've curled up and assumed all is lost.

Fortunately, I'm not really alone. And people do care. A search party has been enlisted to find me in that desert, and the oasis I need is super close by. Even if I've laid down belly up, the people around me haven't.

Isolation in the real world, desert aside, doesn't look like it does in the movies. There's no freedom there, no moving image of me high in the mountains, all alone, breathing in that crisp mountain air, being rejuvenated. In all actuality, I'm trapped. Trapped in my head. With the negative thought distortions there to make sure I stay put.

And to stay trapped, my body cooperates with those evil thoughts telling me to not reach out. I become a recluse. I stay under the covers of my bed all day reading Orson Scott Card novels. I listen to Tori Amos. I don't hold my morning socials at my house. I stop doing the chores that need to be done to keep my house clean. All minor things in and of themselves, but when combined, it's a sure sign I'm isolating.

How can I stop this from spiraling from simple isolation to full blown depression?

For one, people notice when I start isolating. And they don't let me mull with my thoughts very long. My support team, the one consisting of my family and close friends, force me to go out and do things, even when I'd rather do anything else in the world than be with company.

And for another. I reach out in small ways. I don't lie when people ask me how I'm doing. I let them know that I'm struggling with the 'voices' in my head.

My one random thing I do, is when I start isolating and feeling like I don't matter, I read this list of wonderful things about me, that a friend and I compiled several months ago. It makes me smile every time I read it, and it reminds me that I do have worth, and don't deserve to be alone.

And lastly, I accept people's concern for me, and recognize that even if I don't want to do what everyone is inviting me to do, I know deep down I'll feel better for having gone out and done it. So I force myself to do hard things.

Letting people close to you know that when you start isolating it is a red flag for more a downward spiral, can help a lot. It's what I've done, and now my husband s very vigilant in helping keep me afloat, even when I want to submerge below the cool waters. I know for a fact that he's helped keep a minor hiccup from turning into a major episode.

So, when you find yourself in that desert, hold on fast to the knowledge that there is a search party that's been deployed. And you will be found. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you! I have a 34 yo daughter with this disorder and it has been a difficult journey as I have no one in the family with this. She doesn't live close by, so I worry about her. She eats very healthy foods and exercises and takes am anxiety med called Welbutrin and says it doesn't help her and make her feel worse. I keeep encoiragong her to pursue her doctor at Kaiser, but each visit costs,and she has very limited funds. The mental health system is just not good. I am a working nurse at a hospital and see the inadequacies. It makes me sad that we are OK with acknowleging diseases other than mental health disease and we all lose because of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I have a 34 yo daughter with this disorder and it has been a difficult journey as I have no one in the family with this. She doesn't live close by, so I worry about her. She eats very healthy foods and exercises and takes am anxiety med called Welbutrin and says it doesn't help her and make her feel worse. I keeep encoiragong her to pursue her doctor at Kaiser, but each visit costs,and she has very limited funds. The mental health system is just not good. I am a working nurse at a hospital and see the inadequacies. It makes me sad that we are OK with acknowleging diseases other than mental health disease and we all lose because of this.

    ReplyDelete