Thursday, August 15, 2013

What do you have control over in your life?

I know I've been a total slacker on my blog the last week, but I have not been even slightly motivated to write...and well, when you're not motivated to write, you don't write.

Life has gotten in the way of my happiness again, ironically enough, so here I am, writing about it. My therapist has urged me to write about what I have control over in my life, and what I do not. You see, we're in a bit of a financial pickle, and it's causing me lots of emotional pain. We bought a new car because our old one died on us, but the down payment they wanted was just slightly out of our price range (not to mention the car payment, we've got to refinance ASAP)...and then my dear husband got less than half a check on his final check, and he only got one check this month, and just money problems have over taken every aspect of my day.

My therapist spent a lot of time talking to me today about what of this situation I can control, and what I can't. I can control how I react to it. I can still get out of bed everyday and take care of my kids and the house. I can still pay my tithing and have faith in our loving Heavenly Father to continue to provide for us, and trust that he knows what's best for our family.  I can look for ways to bring in small amounts of income, or other ways to cut down our debt to help out with expenses.

On the flip side...I could be crying my eyes out...I could be lying in bed ignoring the world, I could be making things more stressful on my husband than things already are. I'll admit I've spent more time in bed the last few days than has probably been good for me, but that's partly due to a medication change that's kicked my butt. I'm feeling better now though, and I'm working hard to catch up on all the laundry and dishes and cleaning that 4 days of doing nothing will all accumulate in a house.

I even went shopping today and bought some house cleaning supplies that we were in dire need of, lol. I'm almost excited to get started on the cleaning party that's going on here tomorrow. We'll have a clean house for maybe 3 days because Heckle and Jeckle will be going to Grandma's.

So all I really have control over right now is my attitude toward the difficulties we're facing at the moment. And my actions toward my husband are something I can control as well. I can be more loving, and supportive of him as we transition into this new phase of our lives.

So what advice do you have for us? How can I support my husband better? How can I keep my attitude more positive, even when I don't want to keep it positive? What has helped you do so in the past? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment